Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Random Silliness

The vacation countdown is beginning to take over, I think. I can hardly think of anything else than stretching out in my mother-in-law’s backyard with a crossword puzzle, a glass of grape juice mixed with lemonade, and watching CJ play in the grass.

I think Sara’s attempt on Hell’s Kitchen to sabotage her team is a stupid one. Rachel and Virginia (the two she lied to about having dishes ready) are gonna talk to each other and figure it out. Her desperation to be a leader is matched only by her inability to read others’ emotions and know when she’s being an annoying little tool, and lurking behind the prep carts, smirking like the Cheshire Cat, as Gordon Ramsay reams her teammates is not a good way to keep her cover. I think she’ll be the next one to go. At least, I hope so.

I don’t watch American Idol, and haven’t seen a single episode, but is the white haired guy in the Ford commercial *really* the most recent winner? His singing is bland and his attempts to add “soul” are horrible. If he can’t sound better in a 30-second spot when editing to cut down to the optimal material, I have little hope for any career.

Which reminds me—she bang, she bang; oh baby, when she move, she move—whatever happened to William Hung?

I saw a woman with a 20 inch waist walking back from the cafeteria with a plate heaped with fries and chicken wings. Hmm.

I have a theory about weight loss—matter cannot be created nor destroyed, right? So the Earth must always maintain a certain mass to keep its orbit around the Sun. This means the mass of those of us living here must equal the mass of earlier critters, like dinosaurs and wooly mammoths. The ideal beauty used to be women who were Rubenesque, but our ideals have changed to prize women who look like 12 year old boys. It’s no coincidence that our country is experiencing an obesity epidemic on the heels of fashion’s “heroin chic”. It all boils down to this—until Nicole Richie eats a freaking sandwich, I’m not losing a pound.

16 comments:

ann said...

i've never seen hell's kitchen. sounds scary. too many people in the kitchen stresses me out.

there was one really good guy on american idol, and he got voted off. he was bald.

maybe she was taking the chicken wings to her friend who was too lazy to get off his or her big butt and get his or her own chicken wings...which reminds me, and this is true i promise, yesterday daniel and i passed krispy kreme, the hot light was on, and we no kidding saw a big ol fat cop walking out lickin his fingers

and heroin chic reminds me of 13 goin on 30. i loved that movie.

Becca said...

Hell's Kitchen is a lot of fun! The people are competing for their own restaurant, and Gordon Ramsay does not suffer fools gladly. Since these morons would have trouble manning the fry station at Mickey D's yet are expected to cook Beef Wellington, it's great to watch Gordon bring them to their knees.

I'm not much into reality television, but the schadenfreude factor of Hell's Kitchen is so high I can't resist. It reels me in. Last week, one of the men did so badly that Gordon told another contestant, "You! Stand next to him and make sure he doesn't cook a f&$%!#@ thing!"

Hee!

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Yay! Becca posted! Yay!

Tooz said...

And if you do lose a lkj; gf ;lhgdsalk;j pound, I know who will find it. ME. Have you noticed how having to type these word thingies is improving our typing?

ann said...

Hey, i got a question. I know this was many moons ago, but why do you use two different kinds of oil in your pasta?

Becca said...

Ah! A tip I picked up from a chef my brother-in-law used to work for. Olive oil can have a very strong flavor and some people are not fond of the strength in large amounts (like when tossing pasta in it). One can reduce the flavor by using canola oil to cut it to a 2-1 ratio of olive to canola, or even as high as 1-3 while still getting some olive oil flavor.

Plus, I think canola oil has a higher smoke point than olive oil, which breaks down easily at high temperature. If you're working with high heat, increasing the canola oil keeps the olive oil from breaking down as fast.

One other tip--since kalamata olives and sun-dried tomatoes come packed in oil, you can add a teaspoon or two of oil from the jar for extra flavor. Just one or the other, I don't recommend both.

ann said...

Cool. Thanks. We had been using olive oil for everything, then just switched over to canola (thinking the same thing about the smoke point, but i've heard grapeseed oil is best...what have you heard about that?), but i like the idea of combining.

I saw on Malto Morio (sorry for slashing his name) that italians never add olive oil until the very end. I saw on Oprah when Dr. Oz was on there one day that olive oil, when it gets heated to high, gets funky like transfats. That's where I heard about the grapeseed. He also said that roasted peanuts do the same thing, and that they're way better for you raw.

We don't eat past-a at my house, cause my husband thinks it's nasty. But one day i'm gonna make it, maybe tomorrow night, cause i don't think he's maybe ever had good pasta. I bet he's only tried it once or twice and maybe he had something like school lunch pasta. He likes ramen noodles, so that's my theory...that he got some watery squishy noodles somewhere and figured they were all like that.

ann said...

(i miss the food network. will you be my new food network?)

Becca said...

Sure! I'm such a Food Network junkie, perhaps my sickness can help others.

If you get really hard up, you can go to Good Eats Fan Page. This guy has transcriptions of all the episodes. I find it much better to read the transcript for AB's recipes, since the ones on www.foodtv.com are sometimes wrong or contradictory on details.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Um, Beck? Please tell us you'll occassionally post to your blog when you go on vacation. Not all the time, mind you, but drop a note now and then. We'll miss you.

(cjmgkhg - C.J.'s giving you a magic hug)

Becca said...

Too much! Magic Hugs!

And, I should break it to you now. I will not have access to a computer at all while I'm gone, so no blogging, posting, or emailing. My MIL doesn't even own a computer.

Sorry. You'll forget about me after a few days.

ann said...

Yo mama we'll forget about you! You'll just have to dictate messages by phone to someone else. Maybe one of me (i was gonna say us, and then volunteer, but looks like i'm really ready to volunteer) would be happy to share her blog with you...just call and tell me what to write, and i'll post for becca and for ann.

(of course we'd survive if you just wanted to enjoy your vacation with your son and husband and mil)

but one of me would be happy to help any time!

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

I agree! And what do you mean, we'd forget you?!?

Don't stay away too long though, or else I'll be forced to call your voice mail and leave clucking messages!

But, of course, we want you to have lots of fun and take tons of pictures so you can post them and write about your wonderful vacation!

ann said...

AND, I think, since you're about to go on vacation and won't be blogging, that you should be REQUIRED to update your blog EVERY day, and not just with comments. New blog posts! What do you think about THAT idea?

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

NEW BLOG POSTS!!! YES!!!!!

Bluck-bluck-bluck-buk-beCKY!

see, I just clucked at you. So now you have to post.

ann said...

I really liked your theory, especially about Nicole Richie. Poor dear.

I think I've exhausted my comments supply for this post.