Thursday, June 15, 2006

I Return to You a Changed B

I went to the doctor's office this morning for the sinus infection. The PA I normally see was out today, so I actually saw my doctor! How novel.

We were able to confirm that it is indeed a sinus infection, and he gave me a prescription for Zithromax to take to knock it out. We talked about how brutal the spring has been for me--this winter was very dry (five months without rain), raising the overall pollution and particle levels of the air around the valley. He prescribed Nasonex to me--the idea is to spray it once in each nostril, once a day, to keep the sinuses open, prevent bacteria from taking hold, and hopefully eliminate future sinus infections. It won't be of help to me on this infection as it takes a week to kick in, so I'm still taking Sudafed to get rid of the congestion.

The good news is this infection didn't completely settle in my ears yet, so that's a relief. I've been in three times since the end of March for colds, bronchitis, and mainly dual ear infections. The last ones I had in May were so bad I was deaf for about two weeks.

The deafness was bothersome, and somewhat alarming. I know that when I hit my old age I will have reduced hearing, just from the damage I've suffered during my first 30 years. But everything sounded like I was underwater; I had to turn on the closed captioning on my TV to understand anything I watched. Even turning my TV up to maximum receiver volume didn't help. For those two weeks, I wondered if this is what it's like to get old, and I didn't like it one bit.

I've seen from catching up on the blogs that age is a common worry. I worried a bit about turning 30, but it hasn't bothered me much. I gave up on preconceived notions of age and maturity a while ago. It seems to me that one does not receive any special knowledge based on a particular year; cumulative knowledge gained from one's mistakes and one's path in life is much more important. Choices we make today may seem inconsequential, but can have significant importance, and second guessing can be toxic. I'll give you a little case in point:

My time in college, for the most part, was not a happy time. I worked through a lot of identity issues, faith issues, and social issues that crippled me at times, and left me barely able to function. I made choices that were stupid; I used people, hurt them, and tossed them away with barely a second thought. Then I left in silly, spectacular fashion, dropping out of sight.

A few years ago, I went through a "making amends" phase. No, I wasn't in some anonymous support group or dealing with substance issues. I was thinking about some of things I had done and the people I hurt, and I had what I thought might be a profound thought: If only I had gone to college someplace else, maybe I would have gotten my degree, and maybe I wouldn't have done such hurtful things.

Seems like a safe thought, right? If I hadn't gone, if I hadn't met those people, that part of my life wouldn't have happened. But then I started following the logic--what if I hadn't gone to Tusculum?
  • I wouldn't have those few, cherished memories of spending breaks in Atlanta with Wade, doing my radio show, and driving to Asheville in February with Alicia and Jesse to see Ani DiFranco.
  • If I had a degree, it would likely be in History. I only switched to Theatre based on the people I knew in my theatre department.
  • Big parts of who I am today were formed from the freedom I had in college to make those difficult choices and sow my wild oats, so to speak. Many lessons may not have been learned, and the patience and temperance I see in myself today might not have developed.
  • I never would have gone to the computer lab when we got internet access, and I wouldn't have met Tom.

That's the big kicker. Tusculum got World Wide Web access at a specific time, and the 'Net is large place. I doubt I would have met Tom through a different site at a different time. Where would I be today without that? Sure, leaving school and flying halfway across the country to meet someone I barely knew was a dumb, dumb, dumb thing to do, but I got lucky, and it worked out, and I can't imagine what my life would be like without such a wonderful husband, a beautiful boy, and employment that has provided us with a nice house, a comfortable lifestyle, and a good life.

Tooz commented that she knew I had grown up during my visit to the house Derby weekend because I wasn't going straight to the poop jokes. She's right. I still enjoy good poop jokes, but I haven't "grown up" because I performed some rite of passage or turned a magical age. I am who I am today because of the hurtful, impetuous person I used to be; while I regret the hurt I caused, it was necessary. Don't think that I'm advocating some "ends justify the means" approach with carte blanche to stomp on people willy-nilly--that's missing my point.

Sometimes, when we travel, I think we have to go through the brambles and deal with the scratches, the bug bites, and the poison ivy, not just to make it to our destination, but to make the destination worthwhile. I think the pain and struggle helps us appreciate what we have more than if it were just handed to us. And I think it's a necessary part of the journey for us to continue to grow and accept what life gives us, attain the maturity to continue going, and the patience and will to enjoy a life well-earned during our "old age".

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, I'm so glad I met you and that you have matured since the time you and Lydia tried on Spandex dresses at the Fayette Mall! You're one of my favorite folks. I'm sure glad you're back in our lives. Love you.

Lydia said...

I DID NOT TRY ON A SPANDEX DRESS! I DID try on a hoochie mama dress, but it wasn't spandex. My mother bought it for me, too, and I wore it at church camp. Remember that, Bec?

Becca said...

Was that the white dress with the criss cross back? If so, I believe that was denim, not spandex.

And my dress wasn't spandex, it was red, black, and white, and I bought it. A little short, but I was stylin' in it. I looked fabbbbbbbbbbulous!

Although--didn't I try to squeeze into some neon green sausage casing at one point? Or was that a different shopping trip?

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

I keep telling you, Becky. When you get a sinus infection, head straight for the wasabe. It will burn away any congestion you might experience for the next three weeks!

ann said...

how could this discussion not have gone back to sticking things up your nose, etc? I was just waiting, at any time, to see something about the color of your snot that helped you diagnose the infection, or something!

i too am happy to have reunited (and it feels so goooood), and i'm so glad you feel into the blog hole, because i love to read about your life. you're so insightful.

Suze said...

when i was preggers, i got a nasty cold, and of course, you can't take any meds when you're preggers, so i spent 2 weeks snorting hot salt water to try and clear up the congestion. stuart took pictures. methinks i'll not share them.

ann said...

that was very nice of him.

ann said...

i'm so glad you updated your profile. i love all those movies!

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Ha ha ha ha ha - what's the "B" stand for in this case, Hmmmmm? LOL

"Thank you, I love you, Bye-bye!"
- Dot "Animaniacs" (I miss that show!)

Becca said...

"B" means whatever you think it means. I just couldn't resist a good pun. Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

Ann, I'm glad you like those movies too. I was looking over the list, and I had to chuckle "Violent, silly. Very violent, very silly. Extremely violent, extremely silly." It just came out that way. Office Space, though...dude. That's my life. Except I have a copier to beat the snot out of--we use virtual fax machines.

ann said...

that's very funny, and i feel so much better now. i was racking my brain, thinking, "I know i've seen all those movies. which one is that quote from? sounds most like uhf, but i really don't remember it at all. i'm not at all good at remembering movie quotes, but i really don't remember that one at all? why is everybody so much smarter than me?" then i realized what you were saying. ahhh. i feel much better. the "it just came out that way" gave it away (duh).

ann said...

i can't believe you guys bought those ho dresses. man. but y'all were cute.

ann said...

we all just wish we could still wear dresses like that.

Anonymous said...

yep - not that we actually WOULD wear them, just to be physically able to get away with wearing them. The thought of that makes us feel so much better!

Anonymous said...

HELLO HOOCHIE MAMA's!!! Gee, those are good memories.

Lydia said...

I just noticed the links on your site today. I thought I was being pretty original when I suggested to my mom that she change her blog name to NEWS FROM TOOZ. Apparently, I was beat. However, I found it quite amusing trying to figure out who's blogs you had renamed. I love them!

Lydia said...

Bec,
I think the green dress was the same trip. Yes, the white dress, but it wasn't denim. It was cotton with just a hint of spandex. Not the same, MOM>

Lydia said...

By the way, I remember the red white and black dress. It was very cute! we should have worn them to play pool with "Sweatty".

Lydia said...

Whose the anonymous person calling us hoochie mamas here? I don't think you can call us that unless you reveal yourself. What do you think, Bec?

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Okay, I was the anonymous one who said that we wouldn't wear them now, that we just would like to have the physique that we could get away with it. I would NEVER call anyone a hoochie mama though. I'd be much more original. LOL

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Oh, and Beck, you need to quit sprinkling comments all over blogdom, and put a new post on your own blog!

ann said...

yes, we are a naggin bunch of bloggers, so just see how long you can go between posts before we drive you crazy

Anonymous said...

"Men of few words are the best men" . - King Henry the Fifth (Act III, Scene II).

Unless, of course, you have a blog. Then we expect you to actually post fairly regularly!

Becca said...

You defiitely don't want me to blog about the day I had today. Not a good one.

But I'm feeling much better now.

And I'm not worried about driving anyone crazy ny posting. I'm a married woman; I'm highly skilled in driving someone crazy in a myriad of ways.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

See, we do want you to blog on bad days, too! You gotta give us the whole picture, not just the sun-shiney parts!

Lydia said...

Now that you're a changed B, will you post something new?

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Obviously the "changed B" is not her blog!

BECCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

POST ALREADY!

Becca said...

Yeesh, ye are a persistent lot.

ann said...

yes we are

post

post

post

ann said...

you can even post boring things, like on my blog (unless you value your reputation as an interesting person)

Anonymous said...

I just love blogs--much better than chat rooms. You don't actually have to be present (or on-line) to make a fool of yourself with comments!

Becca said...

I didn't realize I had a reputation as an interesting person--since working suburban moms who toil for The Man are so endlessly fascinating.

I would have blogged last night, but a certain someone kept me on the phone till bedtime. I have a deck to produce by this afternoon, so it'll be a bit.

ann said...

produce your deck, already! (whatever that means)

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Hey! What are you doing casting aspersions on me? If you had blogged any over the weekend, you would have already updated and therefore I couldn't have prevented you from blogging. So don't blame your lack of blogging on me, missy! LOL

And if you're going to be that way, I just won't call and talk to you anymore (just kidding. You'd like that too much, and I prefer to torture you! LOL)

But, seriously.............

POST ALREADY!

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Okay, I feel like I've been talking to myself all day [she says as she pouts like a little girl]. Would somebody post something, please!

LOL - the word verification is (I kid you not) "drywhor"

The sophomoric side of me finds this greatly amusing!