- Didn't get the promotion, but I did get the lateral position. In hindsight, I'm very happy about this. More time to learn a few finer details and practice leadership before I'm responsible for it. I'm applying things to my job now that I didn't realize I had learned over the past four years of the previous world. It's challenging but fun and I'm happy with it.
- I've adjusted to the carpool schedule. Those mornings I have to get up before 6am. Don't laugh, but I spend my evenings before setting coffee, packing lunch, picking clothing, gathering my things, and making sure that I don't have to think about a single thing as I stumble around my house, uncaffeinated, before dawn. I thank the technological genius who thought to add a timer to a coffee maker.
- Live by the checklist, die by the checklist. Can't die today--not on my list.
- Still banning HFCS (did you see the study released today?) and extended the ban to include soy products as well. I chose soy because most of it is genetically modified and I don't agree with the way Monsanto treats farmers. Tom has been turning a patch of ground to make a garden and we've taken the plunge to buy only local beef, pork, and chicken and sustainable seafood. I highly recommend Monterey Bay Seafood Watch as a resource. Out here, there's actually a buffalo ranch about 6miles from me and I've started transitioning from beef to buffalo. It's delicious. And for those wondering about cost, yes, it is more expensive. As a result, meat gets less of a focus to our meals and has become more of a supporting player. Our rule--each cut of meat must provide for at least two meals. This week, we stretched six sausage links to five meals. It takes planning, but it's challenging and fun, too.
- I've been visiting the farmer's market near me every couple weeks and I'm very happy to see how big it's growing. It started with one farmer and one stand; now he has vendors dealing with bread, sockeye salmon, local meat, homemade jams, jellies, and salsas, fudge, and tamales. We're happy to support it. I'm buying, eating, and loving vegetables that I wouldn't have looked at a few years ago--fennel, turnips, daikon radish--and his carrots and potatoes are sublime. Tom has been baking bread and buys bags of flour at Costco. We haven't bought bread at the grocery since Thanksgiving.
- CJ completed his T-Ball clinic and is currently enrolled in dance class (ballet and jazz). He loves dance and will be in a recital in June. He did well in T-Ball, but seemed unsure at times. His first at-bat in scrimmage he hit the ball, watched it go, then twisted and fell at the base of the tee. His coach tried to pick him up but he did the rubber limbed thing so Coach Mike picked CJ up, slung him under his arm, and ran CJ to first.
- Every day, I become more and more like my dad. Tom stays home with CJ, I go to work, and I have chores on weekends and take out trash.
- I really like red wine.
Error'd: Perfectly Logical
2 days ago