Monday, June 12, 2006

I Should Be Sleeping...

But I'm so hopped up on cold and sinus meds that I can't yet. Finally, my sinuses have opened and my head no longer feels completely clogged with sawdust. I'm sure the people at Safeway think I'm insane. I stopped there this morning after taking my son to a couple of appointments and I purchased seven boxes of tissues with lotion, Benedryl, NyQuil Sinus, and Afrin. Oh, and bananas, apples, grapes, 8 boxes of my favorite chili which was on sale, and three liters of mouthwash. See? Insanity. I know my club card tracks all my purchases and someone at corporate has some handy report of all my preferred products and brands. I don't want to know what they think; at least the card is still in my maiden name and I can deny all knowledge if need be.

Anyway, I tried the Afrin, despite the fact that I have never used a nasal spray in my life. I was desperate enough to try about anything to open up my head. I've always been a wimp about things up the nose though. Pool water makes me sputter, and I remember once when I was about 14, my sister and I were eating cold pizza and playing Monopoly and she made me laugh after I took a bite and I accidentally snorted a piece of pepperoni up into my nose. I couldn't say what had happened, since the pepperoni was lodged onto my soft palate; I could only hop and dance and grunt into the living room, pointing at my nose while Dad shook his head, Mom stared, and my sister peed her pants with laughter.

Anyway.

So I bucked myself up, made sure CJ was sound asleep, and went to the bathroom to try the nasal spray. Took a few wasted attempts to get the hang of the delivery method, then BANG! WHOOSH! Solid hit of menthol straight to the sinus tissue. Man, talk about a kick in the pants. It burned, but almost pleasantly so, and I snorted a few times to make sure I could actually feel the mucus parting away. Whaddya know, it actually worked! I've been keeping up with the Benedryl to make sure those sinuses stay open, and now I'm waiting for the NyQuil Sinus to kick in.

I can't remember the last time I craved sleep so badly--probably during my pregnancy, when drinking a glass of water was enough to tap my energy for the day. The problem is I haven't been able to sleep more than two hours, and more likely, one hour, before waking up drowning in snot and needing to blow my nose. I've had very little REM sleep during that time, so I'm feeling better, but freaking beat. I'm intending to sleep in bed tonight--the last two nights I slept on the couch so I could prop myself up and avoid waking Tom all through the night. Last night, I managed to hit REM and was having a lovely dream:

I was bantering with Gregory House, but I don't think it was the TV show. I don't recall any other characters there, but it was definitely not Hugh Laurie, since he was speaking with the American accent. Anyway, he was being all flirty with me because in my dreams I am irresistible even to misanthropes, and just when the dream was getting good--and I mean, whispered, whiskered kisses to the nape of my neck good--time to wake up and BLOW! Gah!

I am so sick of being sick.

Spent the evening watching the premiere of the new Hell's Kitchen after getting CJ to bed (pause to say I love my TiVo) and I have to admit I love this show, even though Gordon Ramsay is one messed up individual. I watch this year like I did last year, wondering how I would fare if I tried, especially since I've gotten pretty good at cooking over the years. I know the first thing I would do if I were accepting to be on the show--I'd get my hands on every Good Eats episode I could and watch nothing but Alton Brown for 16 hours a day--honing my knife skills, understanding the science, and getting ready to cook my pants off. I've already got his tomato sauce (the one with canned tomatoes, not the one with Romas), chicken pot pie, and thin and crispy chocolate chip cookie recipes in the ol' repetoire. What's a few more to learn?

19 comments:

Tooz said...

Woo hoo! Becky isn't Snot City anymore! I don't understand the nose thing. When I was little, I put a bean up my nose on more than one occasion; I also put a piece of apple up there. That was worse than the bean--it kept breaking apart, so the doctor had to get that one out with tweezers, from the mouth end! Lydia put raisins in her nose, and David got them out with a straw. Fortunately for David, she didn't have a snotty nose at the time. After she got older, she got adept at digging things out with scissors--just ask her about it.

ann said...

there was a lot of snorting in that post. i like snorting.

Becca said...

Well, at least the pepperoni was an accident. I can't recall putting anything in my nose on purpose. Bunch of weirdos....

Wait. I did put a pencil, led end first, into my ear in 1st grade. It broke. Mom had to take me up to the old hospital off Main St. where some doctor older than the building dug it out using giant Q-Tips. When she asked me why I did it, I honestly answered that I didn't know, and she didn't like that. Hey, at least I didn't lie.

Scissors? Like, up her nose?

ann said...

aw, come on, update your profile. i expected to see all kinds of weird music and books i'd never heard of on there. please?

Becca said...

Dude, give me a chance. That kind of thing takes careful thought to get it just right....And I have to get some work done at some point.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

I agree. Your profile must be updated!

And sleep is essential to good health, you know that, right?

Lydia said...

I think we're related to Alton Brown. No, not really, but Geron tivo's all the new runs of Good Eats. My husband is amazing sometimes. We played a game two years ago called "War of the Sexes" or something. ANyway, its guys against girls, obviously, and you're supposed to ask the opposing team questions that only your team should know. Like girls are supposed to know about cooking and fashion and such and guys are supposed to know about tools and sports and such. Well, Geron just seemed to know everything about everything! (LIke playing trivial pursuit with Everett and my Dad,,,well, and Geron.) All this to say, my husband seems to know everything about cooking and really enjoys Alton Brown's shows.

About the snot-- you're not supposed to get that problem in Arizona, are you? I always try to get rid of it all in the shower, let the steam work it out.

Lydia said...

Okay, just saw mom's comment and thought I better explain. Do you remember friendship pins in the second grade? You know, you get a safety pin and put beads on it, give it to your friend and they pin it to the shoelace of their buddies/keds tennis shoes. Well, Melody Pruitt brought some beads to school and we were playing with them and I put one up my nose---thanks for passing that gene down to me, mom, by the way. Anyway, I pushed it up there a little to far to just blow it out. So, I took a pair of kids scissors, opened them and worked one blade of my nose to dig the thing out. It worked and I didn't even cut myself. (I guess I have big nostrils or super hero powers. I prefer the latter.)

Lydia said...

of=up My nose doesn't have blades

and I also know how to spell to, too and two and realize I should've used "too" in place of "to" in one sentence.

Had to get that in before someone else did.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Hey! I've been very good about not correcting people on their comments and blog posts (although it has just about killed me sometimes not to!) Ms. Marsh would be proud if she knew what an effect she had on me! LOL

Anonymous said...

David worked with a guy who drove a little tiny car up the guy's nose and got it stuck in there.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

I never got anything stuck in my nose, but (when I was reallllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy little) I had a habit of taking things out of my nose and putting them in my mouth. Yeck! Thank goodness Jamie never got into any habits having to do with his nose!

Anonymous said...

Lots of fine folks eat boogers. Especially when they don't have anything else socially acceptable to do with them.

Becca said...

"David worked with a guy who drove a little tiny car up the guy's nose and got it stuck in there."

But, but....if the guy was small enough to fit in the car, how could he get the car into his nose?!?

I'm overthinking this one. It's like an Escher drawing, but in the mind....

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

I puzzled and pondered over that one myself, and finally decided to stop thinking about it, as my brain was hurting. LOL

Lydia said...

Bec,
Please post something new. I can't handle all the boogers and sticking things up the nose talk. Its just tempting me too much....must...shove...keyboard......up..nose....must...shove....keyboard....up....

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

LOL Lydia!

Please post something new, as we're a voracious bunch. We demand frequent blogging!

Anonymous said...

Okay, the guy drove the car with his fingers. He didn't actually get into it. If you ever watched a little boy play cars, you would see that they actually ARE driving those tiny vehicles. By the way, your word verification is "soanaf"--makes we want to finish it; son of what?

Becca said...

Son of a Ford, of course!