Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Thinking About 30

I've been thinking about Jenn's post and her fear of turning 30 and I'm wondering if I just got lucky or if I'm a little strange for not having freaked out too badly about that hurdle myself. Granted, I'm 31 now, so I've had time to adjust to my fourth decade of life, but it occurs to me that despite my status as wife, mother, and valued talent at work, I haven't completely grown up.

What does it say about me that:
  • The only CDs I've bought for myself in the last few years have all been Weird Al albums?
  • My last DVD purchase was a double bill of Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain?
  • I love my son's game of running down the hall shouting "Eeeee!" so much that I join in, running after him and yelling the same.
  • I refuse to watch Titanic, fully convinced I'm the last person in America who hasn't seen it. Tom says I'm being stubborn, but honestly, I have no interest in seeing it.
  • I think Army of Darkness is a much better movie than Citizen Kane.
  • I still listen to music made before 1998 and prefer it to anything coming out on the radio today (except for Weird Al).
  • I'm shocked when I don't get carded for cigarettes or wine.
  • I giggle at every fart I hear and burp freely in front of my son (who tries to imitate).
  • I let my son play with his food, letting him discover what happens when chicken nuggets are dropped into a glass of water for himself. I can clean up the mess later.
  • I use CJ's crayons more often than he does. I have a whole shoe box filled with colored pencils and various types of markers for when I feel like being creative, and I can't wait till CJ is old enough for fingerpainting and modeling clay!
  • I'm way more into Blue's Clues than CJ is.
  • I still can't resist a good opportunity to retort, "Yeah, that's what she said!"
  • I can't wait for Trick and Treat this year!

Strange, deranged, or normal? Am I being dyslexic in matching my actual years to my mental state?

9 comments:

Tooz said...

Did you hear the one about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He used to lie awake at night wondering if there were a Dog.

Becca said...

Well, that's silly--or course there's a Dog! It's all the little breeds of gods that confuse me.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

LOL!

I agree with you on everything in your list except "Titanic". I've seen it - I just wish I hadn't. I'll never get those three hours of my life back.

And how sad is it that I listen to the 80's station down here, and I know all the lyrics - even to the obscure 80s songs that only get played every once in a great blue moon? As I've said before, I totally relate to that song "1985" (most recent version recorded by Bowling for Soup).

Oh, and about the burping thing. You need to add my and Jamie's game to your repertoire. When ever you feel you need to fart, run up to CJ and then turn around really quickly so your butt is either on him or right next to him, then pass wind. It's great fun.

Becca said...

I don't know about that. He might try to return the favor, and he had some stinky ones last night!

Tooz said...

If you would just feed your kids junk food instead of broccoli and beans and other nutritious things, their farts wouldn't stink.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

LOL! In that case, bring on the stink! Kids get enough junk food at school!

Becca said...

Broccoli? Ick. I swear, broccoli causes cancer, and it's a big conspiracy between doctors and the Broccoli Growers World Association or whatever they're called. Disgusting.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Hey, I happen to LIKE broccoli. The only vegetables I refuse to eat are brussels sprouts and beets. Bleck!

Becca said...

I'd consider beets after seeing them on Good Eats, but I will never be into cabbage and its bastard cousins. Never!