Saturday, October 14, 2006

I Have a Full Network!

My friend Jay has an awesome husband!

Months ago, I was talking about getting a new computer to replace my desktop that's still running Windows ME (no longer supported by Microsoft). He works with computers and networking, and without my knowledge, he began building me a new PC out of spare parts he had lying around. Jay had to let me know the plan a few weeks ago, after my keyboard died from water spilled on it, and I was planning to buy one.

Anyway, they came over today and he set up the new PC and networked it to our laptop and printer, THEN he networked everything to the old desktop so we can move files off it and turn it into a file server. I have a full network in my house now, and I'm not sure what to do with it, but it's way cool! Before, only the internet connection was shared, and I had to save drafts with my email for file sharing. Not anymore. And he replaced my keyboard, too, which was very nice of him.

I bought them lunch at Quiznos, since it was the least I can do, and I now have new ways of wasting my time on the weekends as I get files burned, sorted, and organized. This rocks!

5 comments:

ann said...

Yes, she does. And so does your friend Ann. Her husband has also set up a network in their home. But Ann doesn't know how to use both computers at the same time. Her husband can run two operating systems at the same time on one computer, though.

Anyway, congratulations. It's wonderful to have friends like that--friends who do things for you.

Becca said...

It really blew my mind that he did it--I mean, people don't just give computers as presents! He also showed me how to add another hard drive and different video card, and said to call him if I need help. I'm really tickled with the new computer--now I can download from my video camera and burn the videos to DVD! Moving pictures of CJ!

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

I'm hoping you're going to share those moving pics of CJ! That rocks! Congratulations!

And Ann? I already knew you had an awesome husband, and that Daniel has an awesome wife!

Love you all big bunches!

Tooz said...

Gee, I'm impressed! You are one lucky kid, I think--I would be even more impressed if I had any idea what you were talking about! Right now, I just wish I had someone up here to connect my dinosaur to Bellsouth.net, which we now have a modem for. Love you.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Now use that full network to get your tookus online and blog!