Friday, July 28, 2006

Things You May Not Know About Me--Music Edition

I accidentally hijacked another blog's comment section for a music discussion, and I feel badly. So I've decided to bring it over here. Following Suze and Jenn, here's an installment of things you may not know about me, but around music. Enjoy!

  1. I mentioned this in the aforementioned comment section, but my son's nursery is decorated with John Lennon illustrations inspired by the birth of John's son, Sean.
  2. I weep when listening to the classic rock station in town since they've added Peter Gabriel and U2 to the playlists.
  3. The last CD I purchased for myself was Weird Al Yankovic's Poodle Hat. I play "Bob" incessantly as a result.
  4. The last CD I bought before that one? Al's Running with Scissors.
  5. The first song I learned to sing was "You Are My Sunshine" from a Don Williams tape.
  6. I am very familiar with the oeuvre of Boxcar Willie.
  7. I did not know any kind of music other than country, gospel, and bluegrass existed until I was about 8 years old.
  8. The first rock album I ever heard was Van Halen's 1984.
  9. The second rock album I ever heard was Purple Rain.
  10. I saw Prince during his Musicology tour in late March, 2004. I found out in May 2004 that I was pregnant. Draw your own conclusions.
  11. I discovered over vacation that my son can sing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star despite not knowing the words, and may have perfect pitch.
  12. I commonly cite song lyrics, much to the consternation of my friend, Jay, who is not always familiar with the songs I quote.
  13. I wanted to see Toad the Wet Sprocket play with Big Head Todd and the Monsters in Hyannis while I was on the Cape, but couldn't find anyone to go with me.
  14. My brother in law was silent for a few moments when I asked if I could take his 15 year old daughter, my niece, to the above concert. Then he asked me to please repeat the band names.
  15. My niece asked me to repeat the names as well. I just told her they were popular when I was about her age, then realized that darnit! I am getting old.
  16. Ben Folds is amazing on piano. That's not about me, but you may not have known it.
  17. My cats have their own theme songs. Zeke's is from the Talking Heads: "Psychokitty, quest-que c'est? Meow meow-meow meow, meow-meow meow-meow-meow meow--Run run run run run run run away!" Shadow's is the Dreidel song: "Shadow, Shadow, Shadow, I made you out of clay; And when you're dry and ready, with Shadow I will play."
  18. I stopped listening or paying attention to most mainstream music when Britney Spears began becoming popular. Otherwise, I felt like throwing the radio.
  19. I really miss working in the college radio station sometimes.
  20. Why I don't have a copy of Jagged Little Pill is beyond me, but I should go find one.

31 comments:

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

I've quoted this before in the comments of the same blog to which you refer, but I feel like my life reflects certain aspects of the song "1985". My favorite line from said song:

"when did Motley Crew become classic rock?"

So, Becca, I feel your pain! I really, really do! (And if I had been at the Cape, I would have gone to see Toad the Wet Sprocket with you. I have their fear CD on my computer at work. Everytime I listen to it, I think of college radio, us hangin' out on each other's shows, playing whatever we wanted, even though 3/4 of the campus was into hip-hop and rap. Those were the days!)

Tooz said...

Well, all I can say about this post is--My mama used to say she hated country music, but I believe the very first song I heard was "The Tennessee Waltz". We NEVER had country music on at our house, but I found myself drawn to the stuff I hear out of 650 AM. That, and black gospel. I've about figured that one out, though--my folks used to sit out back at my grandmother's house and listen to the music from the black church down the road. Interesting to try to figure things out like that. I also like Weird Al. Love you, Becca.

ann said...

I think me and Suze sat in at the Georgetown College radio station once. It was fun. I felt like a celebrity. It might not have been Suze, but I think it was. It was somebody cooler than me, I remember that. It might have been Megan McG, or was it you?

Anonymous said...

Where, oh where, are you tonight?
Why did you leave us bloggers alone?
We searched the world over and thought you were bloggin',
You got to workin' and thbbbbsssssssssttttttttttttttt

YOU WERE GONE!

ann said...

I love that song. Hey, now i Know all about you musically, so this blog doesn't apply anymore. goose goose (that's me goosing you to get your blogging butt back in gear)

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Okay, this post is getting as stale as week-old bread. Or even as stale as the 60's and 70's band, Bread. Ha Ha! I made a funny!

UPDATE PLEASE!

Love ya bunches.

Becca said...

I'm not one to keep up with blogging--
No, really, I'm just not the daily kind.
Oh you'll never see me posting every day now,
So you'd better be sure and read real close the first time!

I'm just jealous that Everett gets 24 comments when I top out around 8. I'm holding out for more love.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

You're holding out for more love? More love? I'll show you more love, missy!

(LOL!)

We wanna hear more about your vacation!!!!

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

WRITE

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

ON

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

YOUR

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

ABOUT

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

YOUR

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

WONDERFUL,

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

SUNNY,

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

SANDY

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

BEACH-Y

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

CAPE

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

VACATION!

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Okay, including this one, you now have 21 comments. Is that enough love for you to update now? LOL!

Becca said...

LOL--now I have to explain to the people in the surrounding cubes why I'm laughing like a loon!

I have been super busy and haven't had a lot of opportunity. Let me see what I can get up.

NYKFRA!

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

I'll teach you to hold out on us! And if your co-workers know you the way WE know you, they probably are afraid to know why you're laughing like a loon. Oh, incidentally, did you get my sick-puppy e-mail I sent you? Did you find it funny, as well?

Becca said...

Ooh! Off to check my gmail! How twisted is it? Or is it literally a sick puppy? That would be kind of sad.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

You'll see. It's pretty twisted. Kind of along the same lines as the Sheryl Crow thing you posted about a while back.

Becca said...

Heh! That was funny!

Someone around here has the beginning of Tainted Love as their ringtone.

"Sometimes, I feel I have to (bum-bum) get away...."

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

"I've got to (bum-bum) run away..."

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

I wonder how many bloggers we can get to add a line each of the lyrics to this song...

Becca said...

"From the pain you drive into the heart of me--the love we share..."

Suze said...

annalu, i think that must have been megan mcg, who was always way cooler than me (and probably still is!)

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

"Seems to go no where and I've lost my light
For I toss and turn I can't sleep at night!"

Becca said...

"Once I ran to you (I ran)
Now I run from you!
This tainted love you given...."