Thursday, July 06, 2006

Stream of Consciousness for Today

I was reading on Lydia's blog about Lima Bean getting hiccups, and I was remembering how CJ would get hiccups when I was in the middle of a meeting, and my tummy would start hitching upward, just a bit, barely enough to notice. Once, CJ had the hiccups and my boss at the time noticed my belly jumping and I caught him staring with a slight smile on his face before moving on to something else.

Sometimes I get hiccups, the loud ones that hurt because of the amount of air that gets sucked into your chest with each one, and I stomp and curse and try drinking water in various impossible yoga positions until I can get my diaphragm to cooperate with me. I wonder if CJ ever got upset at my hiccups while he was still inside me? I can see him, warm and cozy, dozing in his little amniotic sac, when suddenly the uterine walls begins bouncing and he starts bouncing, and seething because he's trying to sleep through all the racket and what did Mommy just say? until he finally kicks in frustration and the hiccups stop.

Then I think of a Beavis and Butt-Head video I loved by a guy who called himself MC 900Ft Jesus, where he packs himself in a box to ship himself somewhere. The song is called If I Only Had a Brain, and it has this cool electronic line that goes, "Duh. Duh-duh. Duh-duh. Duh-duh-duh-duh, na-na-na-na-na, na, na-na...Duh-duh. Duh-Duh. Duh-duh-duh-duh, na-na-na-na-na...." for the whole song. Beavis starts singing the line, repeatedly, while the guy is bouncing around his box, until Butt-Head smacks him upside the head, and then Butt-Head starts singing it.

I used to watch Beavis and Butt-Head a lot in high school--brilliant satire because I knew these guys in school and they were my friends. Mom used to rail about how awful a show it was until I asked her if she'd seen it and she said no. So I made her watch it one night, and it was The Great Cornholio, and halfway through she was laughing so hard I thought she was going to pee herself in her chair. "Lake Titicaca!"

She got me the B&B DVD collection for Christmas this year.

One night, in the computer lab at Tusculum, I was signed in under the name White Dwarf and joined a chat about B&B, defending it as satire. Only one other person agreed, a guy with the handle Jungle Jim. He seemed a nice enough fellow. We chatted a bit, and that was that. A week later, while signed in under the name exotique, I met another guy named Gilamonster who later captured my heart. It wasn't until Tom and I had been together sometime that I learned he had been Jungle Jim, and he learned that I was White Dwarf.

And that, dear friends, is how hiccups make me think of my husband.

2 comments:

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Okay, I bet that is the one and only time Beavis and Butthead will figure prominently in a romantic story! LOL.

You're so mushy on him it's cute!

Lydia said...

This post reminded me of those "If You Give A Mouse A Pizza" books. If you don't know what I"m talking about, forget what I just typed and read on.

I think I have the craziest hiccups in the world--actually, they don't bother ME, but my parents and Geron think they're pretty funny. They're really high pitched and really loud. Like a seal barking an "A" about 4 octaves above middle C. I think if I get them in the next few weeks, I'll scare the baby right into the world!