Friday, December 22, 2006

CJ's Second Birthday

Christmas time is very busy for us this year, since CJ's birthday is a week before it (aw, my little tax break baby!). Tom's birthday is also close to the holidays, so we're making a concerted effort to make sure CJ has a separate birthday and separate Christmas, and not blend the two together.

Of course, I still get to shop the same sales, but that's beside the point.

So Tuesday was the big day for my big boy, and he got to stay home with Mommy because he had a cold. He's been home with my all week because of that cold, and now Mommy has it. Anyway, Tuesday morning we greeted him with Happy Birthday! He played on his own very well while I got some work done, then my friend Jay came over around 4, bearing grande mocha frapuccinos. Jay kept CJ entertained and chatted with me while I tidied my kitchen and began baking CJ's birthday cake. I made a spice cake with cream cheese icing from a recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens red plaid cookbook from 2000 (but I can post it for Jenn later). Jay finished the icing while I started dinner--spaghetti and meat sauce, one of CJ's favorites. Tom and Erik arrived shortly before dinner, and we all sat around the table.

CJ really likes Jay and Erik. I think he might have a crush on Jay, because he always grins at her and acts on his best behavior until she makes a funny face at him and then he cracks up. Erik is very tall, and CJ is fascinated by that--he leans his head way back to stare at Erik, then later will make faces to make Erik smile.

After dinner was singing and cake, and we had a brief moment of panic when CJ tried to put out the candle with his hand instead of by blowing. He was successful--but most importantly, no blisters or other injury. He was VERY surprised, though--I think touching the candle flame definitely did not feel good. After cake, Tom brought out the presents I wrapped earlier in the day.

I hope we're not spoiling him too much! He got lots of coloring stuff, a couple books, an art desk for keeping his crayons and papers, a little golf set, a new pirate playset, and his favorite gift from Jay and Erik--Pirate Potato Head! It's a giant Potato Head filled with 4 smaller potato heads and all the pieces are pirate/see themed. We all played with this one! Erik and created what we called the Pirates of Dr. Moreau while CJ clapped and approved or everyone. Then he took one and repeatedly held it up for Erik, made it dance, then giggled to himself before doing it again.

So, my little boy had a fantastic birthday and we've had a blast playing this week. I'm now on vacation starting today, so no more work for me until January! I'm really excited about Christmas--we have a naked tree we need to decorate (but it smells wonderful!) and I can't wait to see how much CJ will love Christmas morning after seeing how much he enjoyed his birthday!

1 comment:

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Yay! Sounds like you've had fun!

And I have that same cookbook - well, it's a red plaid BHG cookbook, but mine is the three-ring kind and it was published in 1965 (it was my mom's), so yeah, go ahead and post that recipe. I might not have it in my cookbook.