Saturday, December 09, 2006

Christmas List

Alrighty, I guess it's my turn.

1. Eggnog or Hot Chocolate?
Hot Chocolate.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Tom and I wrap all the presents, but all the ones for Christopher are marked, "From Santa".

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Colored lights for both.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No, I get and give plenty of kisses.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
It varies. We've had a couple years where we didn't put any up. A few years ago, Tom had to work on Christmas Eve and we hadn't gotten a tree or anything, so while he was at work, I put up old Christmas cards and strung lights and hung stockings as a surprise. Last year, we didn't decorate the tree till Christmas Eve after putting CJ to bed--he loved it on Christmas morning.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
I don't have a whole lot of background on tradition. Some years, Tom and I open a bottle of wine and eat grapes, cheese, and crackers while listening to Christmas music. That's always good. I can't think of a specific dish.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
I don't have any. I used to enjoy going to church with the Clan. Opening it up to the whole Holiday season, I loved Granny;s New Year's Eve parties and I miss those greatly.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
When I was really young and from the Jehovah's Witnesses. I don't remember ever believing in Santa Claus.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Yes, one each. Previous years, our friend Candi has celebrated with us, and we've always made sure she had a present under the tree from us for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. This is our first Christmas without her, and that makes me sad.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
A couple strings of lights, some glass balls, some painted decorations, and other ornaments we've received over the years.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Love it, and miss it.

12. Can you ice skate?
Once upon a time before my center of gravity shifted.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
A mini-disc player I didn't even know I wanted or existed. I still use it almost every day at work.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Family.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
I don't really have one. I've started baking spice cakes for CJ's birthday (right before CHristmas) so I'll go with that.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
I like filling up the stockings--ones for me, Tom, each cat, and now CJ.

17. What tops your tree?
Previous years, nothing, or a Santa hat. This year, Tom got a color changing star for the top. Since CJ is currently obsessed with stars, I think he'll like it very much.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving?
I'm uncomfortable with both since I haven't done it very long. I think I like them both equally, but they both stress me a bit--I'm never sure if I got the right gift to give someone, and I'm never sure I've properly thanked the giver when it's something I really like.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
O Holy Night--sung by David. I miss that a lot. I wish I could have it on CD to play every Christmas Eve.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?
Yum--but only the peppermint ones. Cherry ones are disgusting.

21. Favorite Christmas movie?
A Christmas Story, Elf, and Bad Santa.

22. What do you leave for Santa?
Nothing. I'm a bad girl.

2 comments:

ann said...

Oh, Elf! I can't believe I forgot about Elf! I might have to change my blog! I Love that movie! I love it when he answers the phoen in his dad's office and asks, "What's your favorite color?" I think he's the most wonderful character in a long time. So innocent and stupid. I want one.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

I've never seen Elf or Bad Santa. Guess my holiday movie education would be considered by some to be sorely lacking.

How do you make spice cakes? Could you maybe post a recipe to ROUS?

(pwanwank - sounds like something the Monty Python crew would use as a euphemism for something or other)