Saturday, September 09, 2006

I Want to be ElastiGirl!

Tom's watching The Incredibles, and ElastiGirl just went somersaulting over buildings, and that looked really cool! I wanna do that!

I have recovered from my temporary hypothetical finger paralysis and found a bit of time, so I thought I'd post on what's been going on for the past couple weeks.

Sorry, got wrapped up in the movie.

We had intended to settle down to a nice long weekend over the Labor Day holiday. Didn't quite happene. Friday night the air conditioner broke down. It was blowing, but it wasn't cooling anything down. We made it through the night despite the rising temperature, then I called the A/C company our neighborhood is contracted with early Saturday morning. They weren't able to send a tech until after noon, so we went out to breakfast and then bummed around Linens and Things until it was time to meet the tech at our house.

It was actually very nice to get out, but the lack of sleep from our hot night slowed us down for the rest of the weekend. Sunday, we were supposed to go out for cow in celebration of Jay's new job (she starts in my department on 9/18), but CJ was just being a big handful and we were so worn out by 5pm I had to call and cancel.

The good news is the A/C repair was a relatively quick and cheap one--just a blown capacitor.

I wish I had something more exciting to report. Still working on getting my work published next week, still ensconced in conference rooms for marathon analysis sessions, and still trying to balance time needed at work with time needed at home. But my project team still likes each other despite 7 hours together a day and my boss is very appreciative of my efforts. In fact, thanks to an approach I suggested, we've already saved almost $200K and might save close to a million by the time we're done. That's gonna look good on my review this year.

4 comments:

ann said...

That's awesome! Hey, write it all down while it's fresh on your mind (exactly what you did for your company), just in case you want to change jobs or apply for a promotion or something, you can be specific on a resume!

Yay I'm glad you blogged!

Tooz said...

I think a good use of the $200K you saved would be to give you a pretty good cut of it. What do you think? Love you, and glad you're still alive!

Becca said...

Thanks for the advice, Ann. I told my boss about it on Friday when I was calculating it, and he said to claim it on my review. I keep farily good records of this kind of thing--not only does it look good on a review, but a resume as well.

Tooz, I think that would be an excellen idea! I'd settle for even a 1% of the total saves. They don't run those types of programs anymore, but since that kind of result will get me a higher review ratings and therefore higher raise at the beginning of next year, it might also qualify for some sort of award bonus. So I might indirectly see a bit of it.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

AWESOME! To paraphrase the two-year-old diva I sometimes babysit, "I'm so proud of you!" She usually tells me this when she sees me coming out of the bathroom. She's potty training, so she's reciprocating the positive reinforcement her mother has been giving her. It makes me laugh.