Friday, January 12, 2007

The Suffering Has Ended

My father passed away a few hours ago at home in Kentucky. It was very fast. Appears to be a massive stroke (the one we always knew was on the way).

Jamie and Mom are with him now and will be calling the funeral home soon. The hospice care nurse he likes was there when it happened. We'll be flying out sometime this weekend, but I haven't made any arrangements for tickets yet.

I'm not sure what to say about my father other than I love him dearly and I will miss him. Who he really was was lost some time ago to the ravages of the congestive heart failure, poor circulation, and complications from his diabetes. While I am, of course, upset that he has died, I am largely relieved that any pain, frustration, and indignity is gone now. He knew he wasn't the man he used to be, and that upset him more than the though of dying.

I'm not sure how long I'll be back home. Tooz, I'll likely give you a call at some point to give you information on the service. Since I think just about everyone who reads this knew Dad, I wanted to let you know.

3 comments:

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry yet also relieved for you. So sad that he isn't here anymore, but so relieved like you said that his sufferring has ended. I'm thinking of your whole family. Please hug each other for me!

Becca said...

Thanks, and thanks.

We'll be flying into Lexington on Sunday and leaving on Friday. The service will be at Johnson's on Tuesday, with burial at Camp Nelson.

I talked to Jenn earlier, and I'm kind of numb. I have moments of uncontrollable crying partnered with moments of eerie calm and acceptance. I'm worried about my sister--she's taking it very hard, and Mom seems to be holding up OK. As for me, two tall bourbon and Diet Pepsis with just as much bourbon as Pepsi may explain some of the numbness.

But it's good Kentucky bourbon. No Jack for me or my dad.

Everett said...

I'm sorry, Becky.